Now you do not need to carry your Driving Licence (DL) & Registration Certificate (RC)
In today’s digital age, the integration of technology into our daily lives has revolutionized the way we handle various aspects, including documentation. One significant advancement in this regard is the acceptance of Virtual Driving Licences (DL) and Registration Certificates (RC) on the Digilocker and m-Parivahan mobile apps in India. This article delves into the implications of this transition and the challenges that persist.
Understanding the Initiative
The Ministry of Electronic & Information Technology, Government of India, initiated this groundbreaking change. In a letter dated 18.07.2018, addressed to all Principal Secretaries of Transport and State Government/Union Territories Administrations, the government requested the issuance of appropriate orders to all enforcement officers. The objective was clear: to encourage them to accept the DigiLocker Driving Licences and Vehicle Registration Certificates from citizens’ DigiLocker accounts.
Legal Recognition Driving Licence
Subsequently, in line with this initiative, the office issued a circular on 21.10.2021. This circular recognized the documents stored in Digilocker and m-Parivahan mobile apps, under the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India, as legally recognized documents. These virtual documents were accorded equal status to their physical counterparts, as per the provisions of the Information Technology Act 2000.
Challenges Faced – Driving Licence (DL) and Registration Certificates (RC)
Despite the clear directives and the legal recognition of virtual DLs and RCs, there have been persistent complaints. Enforcement agencies, at times, continue to insist on hard copies of the documents. This has created confusion and inconvenience for citizens who have embraced the digital transition.
The reasons behind this resistance to change are multifaceted. Some enforcement officers may not be fully aware of the legal recognition of virtual documents, leading to a lack of trust. Others might find it more convenient or familiar to work with physical copies. The challenge, therefore, is twofold – raising awareness among enforcement agencies and changing long-standing practices.
The Call for Action -Driving Licence (DL) and Registration Certificates (RC)
In light of these challenges, there is a pressing need to issue clear orders and instructions to all relevant authorities. This will ensure that Virtual Driving Licences (DL) and Registration Certificates (RC) on Digilocker and m-Parivahan Mobile Apps are honored and accepted without any hesitation.
It is crucial to remind enforcement agencies that these virtual documents are legally valid and possess the same authenticity as their physical counterparts. The Information Technology Act 2000 supports this recognition, and it is time to align the practices with the law.
The acceptance of Virtual Driving Licences and Registration Certificates on Digilocker and m-Parivahan Mobile Apps is a significant step toward a more efficient and convenient system. However, for this transition to be truly effective, it is essential to address the challenges and ensure that enforcement agencies recognize the legitimacy of these virtual documents.
By doing so, we can streamline processes, reduce paperwork, and promote a more digital-savvy India. It’s time for a change, and the acceptance of virtual DLs and RCs is just the beginning.
- Are virtual DLs and RCs as legally valid as physical ones?
- Yes, virtual DLs and RCs on Digilocker and m-Parivahan Mobile Apps hold the same legal validity as their physical counterparts, as per the Information Technology Act 2000.
- Why do some enforcement agencies still insist on physical copies of documents?
- Some agencies may not be fully aware of the legal recognition of virtual documents, or they may find it more convenient to work with physical copies.
- How can citizens raise awareness about the acceptance of virtual DLs and RCs?
- Citizens can spread awareness by educating enforcement officers about the legal validity of virtual documents and sharing official notifications.
- What benefits come with using virtual DLs and RCs?
- Using virtual DLs and RCs reduces paperwork, makes document retrieval more convenient, and supports the government’s digital initiatives.
- Where can citizens access official notifications regarding the acceptance of virtual DLs and RCs?
- Official notifications can be found on government websites and the Digilocker and m-Parivahan mobile apps.